Subscribe via Email and get post sent straight to your inbox!

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

So I gave up beer for lent....

And you're thinking, "so.. why would anyone do that? Especially a guy who is writing a blog about his love for beer?" What can I say, except that I like a challenge, and that it really did give me time to reflect on my love for beer. I spent a good amount of time the last 40+ days thinking about which beer I was going to break my fast with. So many choices...
 What I eventually decided was that as my first beer would also be my first blog entry, it had to be a brewery I was familiar with, and something I'd very likely love. I mean c'mon, what kind of credibility can this blog expect to build if the first thing I post is I gave up beer for the last 40+ days, and oh, by the way, the first beer I had after that time sucked? That would not be cool. So dear reader, I present you to my first ever blog beer review......


Harpoon Leviathan Imperial IPA
Harpoon Brewery, Boston MA
10%ABV
12 ounce bottle

Harpoons regular IPA is one of my all time favorites, but I've never actually purchased the Imperial. The time had come.

The label describes this as an IPA "loaded with big, juicy American Hop Character and balanced by a strong malty backbone. I respectfully disagree. While it pours a bright bold gold/copper color, with a nice wispy head, it lacked the over powering hop aroma you usually get from a Harpoon IPA. What it did give the nose was a nice dose of malt- strong, alcoholy, but not overpowering. Mouthfeel is smooth and ale thick, like a very light syrup, and the high alcohol content really tickles the tongue on the way down. Typical hop bitter finish, nicely balanced out by a super strong malt flavor. This beer screams "Serve me with BBQ all summer long". And I think I might just do that...

On a scale of 1 to 5, I give this beer a strong 4. Loved it, and not just because it was my first beer in 40+ days.
Drink responsibly, 10% ABV is serious beer.

No comments: