Subscribe via Email and get post sent straight to your inbox!

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Fried Kool Aid and a Mayflower Pale Ale

I admit that I am not a foodie, and that I am not ever going to be up to date on the latest and greatest in culinary achievements.

But Fried Kool Aid?

Apparently this is a big trend right now at the San Diego County Fair. I just don't get it. I like Kool Aid. I like fried food. But dumping a jar of Kool Aid mix into a fryolator and eating the resulting ball of fried sugar and fat doesn't appeal to me, sorry.

What does appeal to me is good beer, and have I got a very good one for you today- Mayflower Brewing's Pale Ale.

I first tried a Mayflower brew last summer. The brand name was new to me, and when I asked the guy at the register about their Golden Ale, he raved, saying I was buying the best beer in the store. So I brought it home and tried it, and lets just say I wasn't raving about it. So I summarily dismissed Mayflower as a brand.

Flash forward to this year, and I read rave reviews online about Mayflowers seasonal ales, and my #1 drinking buddy, Chris, says he recently tried a Mayflower (I don't recall which one) and he raved about it as well.

Was Mayflower worth a second chance? No one likes spending money on beer they don't love, and I am certainly no exception. Notice how most of my beer reviews are positive? I do attempt to only buy beer I think will be good. Seriously, who has time for inferior beer? But the positive reviews for Mayflower were piling up, so I had to give them a second chance.

I went to Julios Liquors in Westborough and picked up a bottle of...

Mayflower Pale Ale
Mayflower Brewing, Plymouth, MA
4.9% ABV

The bottle simply says "try our English Style Pale Ale and taste the history". OK

The beer pours a nice bright orange, but settles to a lighter orange/amber shade. Head is thin and wispy and dissolves quickly, leaving light lacing on the head and glass.

Smell is malty, alcohol, and very slightly hoppy. Nothing over the top but enjoyable.

Mouthfeel is more than expected- medium bodied, thicker than a pale ale or summer beer but not heavy.

Taste is another big surprise- hoppy (slightly flowery from the Nugget, East Kent Goldings hops ), malty (Two-Row Pale, Caramel Munich 40, and Victory malts), alcoholy, in that order. Extremely well balanced.

Finish is crisp, bright, mildly bitter, but in a pleasant way.

The label calls this an English Style Pale, but its almost an IPA. I loved it. I give this beer a 3.75. Awesome beer, and more proof that just because you had one particular beer from a brewer and you didn't like it , it doesn't mean you shouldn't give them another chance. Breweries make many styles for a reason.

No comments: