Subscribe via Email and get post sent straight to your inbox!

Sunday, June 19, 2011

From Larry- Happy Fathers Day!

Happy Fathers day to all the dads out there!

I spent my second fathers day at home, in the yard, running after my two year old. When she went down for her nap, I managed to sneak in a quick run, shower and then I reclined in an adirondack chair to enjoy this awesome weather with my wife by my side and a 22ounce bottle of....

Larry Imperial IPA
Wachusett Brewing Company
Westminster, MA
7% ABV

Wachusett Brewing is quickly earning a permanent place in my beer fridge. These guys might be the best brewery you've never heard of, located in a Massachusetts town few us can find on a map.

I had read about the legendary Larry IPA for some time. First brewed for the Publick Houses annual Hop Head throwdown, this beer is 22 ounces and 85 IBU's of pure hop heaven.

This beer pours a beautiful hazy orange/burnt amber color. Due to careless pouring I got a nice three fingers of head, light and wispy, off white, that eventually settled down to a manageable lacing on the glass.

The smell is modest- hoppy, though not overly flowery or perfumy. But the hops-Amarillo, Chinook, Simcoe, Magnum, Centennial- are most definitely present.

Mouthfeel is great- light body, a little tingly on the tongue (85 IBUs of bitterness will do that)

Taste is awesome. Hoppy, but more piney than flowery, and perfectly balanced by the American Two Row, Crystal and Munich Malts . Totally unexpected for an Imperial IPA. This is the most drinkable Imperial beer I've ever had.

If you're a hop head like me, this beer is must drink. Find it , buy it , hoard it, but most of all, enjoy it. I give this an easy 4.5 on a scale of 1 to 5.

No comments: