Subscribe via Email and get post sent straight to your inbox!

Thursday, June 23, 2011

I Caught Whitey

And by that, I mean a Haverhill Brewery Whittier White Ale.

Oh, you thought I was talking about the other "Whitey", the guy from Southie who is all over the news right now? Sorry, I was talking about beer.

I was drawn to this beer by the graphics on the bottle. Haverhill appears to have an attractive woman on all its bottles, a not so subtle marketing ploy. This particular beer being a Belgian Style White Ale, it has a woman in a white dress walking a white dog. Odd, but it got my attention.

Whittier White Belgian Style White Ale
Haverhill Brewery
Haverhill, MA
4.6%ABV

I had seen Haverhill beers in the store for a few weeks now, but I've avoided them.

Why?

Honestly, its the girl on the bottle.  I just didn't trust her. It really felt like she was trying too hard to get my attention, and that set off some warning flags.

The bottle says this about the beer-"There are no regrets with Whittier White. This wheat beer with citrus undertones is a cool breeze on a hot day. You will want to keep this taste of summer even when ou are snowbound"

The beer pours a nice hazy/cloudy deep yellow/orange, with a thin head that quickly vanishes.

Nose is all Belgian- Fruity, cloves, banana, and wheat.

Mouthfeel is very light, which you expect from a wheat. Its crisp and bubbly.

Taste is ....interesting. Spicy from the white pepper, ajowan seeds and coriander seeds, and I very distinctly get wheat (from the raw wheat added to the kettle and yeast in suspension) and cloves and a nutty taste as well. There is a lot going on here

(Malts used were 2-Row, Wheat, Acidulated Malt; Hops: Centennial)

Finish is slightly sour, with an unpleasant pepper aftertaste that is very light, but perceptible.

Overall this beer is exactly what it says it is, which seems to be the melding of wheat, white, and Belgian styles. I'm not so sure it worked.

Admitting that Belgians are not my favorite, I give this beer a 2.50-3 on a scale of 1-5.

But don't take my word for, try it for yourself, let me know what you think. Pick up a 6 pack for yourself and support local craft beer!

No comments: