Subscribe via Email and get post sent straight to your inbox!

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Summer Ales

In the real world, I work in advertising. I read several trade newsletters, and one of them recently had a great article on Breckenridge Brewery. Unlike most craft brewers, Breckenridge had taken the unusual step of advertising on televsion locally, in Colorado. Their ads were over the top mocking of what the big mass brewers were promoting. Here's a sample below.

"Gravity Activated Pouring"

"Truth in Beervertising"

"Lucky U IPA"

Given this awesome response to the inane and annoying ads visited upon us by the mass brewers, I felt compelled to try the beer. So I went out and puchased: 

Summer Bright Ale
Breckenridge Brewery, Denver CO
4.5% ABV

This label says "honest and solid in construction. Malt beverage brewed with orange and lemon peels. Complete and satisfying in drinking"

The beer pours a nice yellow orange color, with a thin white, wispy head. Smell is yeasty. My wife said is smells like a Bud, and it does have a similar yeast scent. But I also found the orange and lemon notes, and I thought the yeast smell was fresher and deeper than a Bud, which tends to smell stale and skunked (at least to me).

Mouthfeel is light, carbonation is apparent, and taste is pleasant- the orange and lemon peel taste and bitterness are obvious, but not overpowering. You get a yeasty essence on the finish, maybe a bit sour, but subtle, not overpowering.

This beer was a perfect summer drink. Light, refreshing, and only 4.5% alcohol make it a great back porch with friends and family brew.  I give this brew a 3 out of 5.

No comments: