Subscribe via Email and get post sent straight to your inbox!

Thursday, July 14, 2011

"Troegenator" Double Bock- Another great beer from Troegs Brewing

Prior to my vacation last week, I had been lucky enough to have my fridge stocked with beer courtesy of my mother in law, who on a recent visit brought up a large case of mixed beers. She brought this one as well- the Troegs "Trogenator" Double Bock.

I've reviewed Troegs brews before (Hop Back Amber Ale), and sampled another of the their brews, and they've never disappointed. I was very anxiously looking forward to this, so let's skip the small talk and have at it....


Troegenator Double Bock
Troegs Brewing Company, Harrisburg, PA
8.2% ABV
22 ounce bottle

This beer pours a very pretty dark reddish brown color with a shallow, brown head.

The smell is malt and yeast, call it bready, with a hint of the high alcohol content. The aromas are mild, warm, and pleasing.

Mouthfeel is alcoholy warm, surprisingly so, yet creamy and silky. Its a medium bodied brew, not too heavy or thick.

Taste is complex- malty, with an earthy sharpness that might be spicy, but its overwhelmed by the alcohol on the tongue, so the spicy is sort of washed out. There's a hop bitterness in the after taste and a vague hint of some kind of sweetness trying to fight through as well.

When I checked the web site for the malts and hops used, I found that they used Pilsner, Munich, and Chocolate malts. So its probably the chocolate malt trying to provide the sweetness, but it ends up more balancing off the bitter than giving a real sweetness. Hops used were Hallertau, and Saaz, which I know little about except that Hallertu seems to show up in a lot of IPAs, Saaz, not so much.

Finish is mellow, bitter but mild.

Overall I found this beer slightly too malty for my taste. Its not a balanced, "session-able" beer, but it's still very  enjoyable because the strong flavors work well together. I'd give this a 3+. A solid Bock style brew. Another very solid beer from our friends at Troegs.

1 comment:

Andrew said...

I tend to find all Bock's too malty...but thats just me.