Subscribe via Email and get post sent straight to your inbox!

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Vacation recap, Weasling out of things, and why the posts are lacking lately

I wanted to take a moment to catch up on a few beer related thoughts from vacation, and to also explain why the posts have been lacking lately.

1) Why the posts are lacking

My wife and I are expecting our second child in December. In preparation, we need to move our daughter into a new bedroom. This requires me to remove the 3 layers of ancient wall paper from this room so we can paint and decorate it appropriately for a 2 year old. In an effort to motivate myself, I pledged "no beer until all the wallpaper is down"!

Yup, I gave up beer again. This time for only about 14 days. This also explains why I stayed up until past midnight on Monday to finish the job. I wanted a beer, damn it! The reviews I've posted recently have been from notes I took over vacation. (I thought it was a good idea to have some reviews in the bank in case I suddenly lacked time/energy to write.)

Luckily, the job is done, and I have an awesome new beer for you later this week.

2) Weaseling out of things

"Marge, don't discourage the boy! Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals! Except the weasel."
-Homer Simpson

So, that deal I made with myself above? I found a loop hole last week and weaseled out of it. It was so hot last week, and the wallpaper scraping was so bad, and the pinched nerve in my back was hurting sooo bad, that I desperately wanted a beer. However, I had made that promise to myself about not having a beer until all the wallpaper was down.

Luckily, I made no such promise in regards to WINE! Now, I'm not really a wine guy, but I had a cold bottle of Yellow Tail Riesling in the fridge that we had never opened. So, I popped it open and had a few glasses. A few sips in I understood why it was on sale- it was not good. Yellow tail makes a great Riesling, but this one was skunked. After the 3rd glass (it wasn't too skunked, after all), I dumped the bottle.

3) Vacation Beer recap- I drank a few beers on vacation. You saw the post about the Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA? That was the best. But there were other awesome contenders- (lets see if you can guess where I went drinking???)
  • Boston Beer Works "Habanero Stout"- What a phenominal beverage! All the creamy smoothness and roasted malt sweetness of great stout, with the tasty heat of a Habanero Pepper, and without the mouth burn.I seriously considered getting growler and grabbing a straw.
  • Boston Beer Works "India Pale Porter"- Whats up with IPA/Porter combos lately? This was a great brew as well, nicely balanced malt and hops, very similar to the Pretty Things East India Porter I reviewed a few weeks ago.
  • Boston Beer Works Watermelon Ale- simply the best Watermelon Ale on the market. Possibly the most thirst quenching beer in the universe.
  •  Harpoon IPA- First thing I did on Saturday of vacation was buy a 12 pack of the legendary Harpoon IPA. My favorite "anytime beer". I had to restrain myself from buying a case. It was awesome. Best session IPA on earth.
Basically, the rest of my vacation was spent watching the Tour de France. No, I'm not joking. I freaking LOVE this event. I got into it a few years ago, when my daughter was a newborn, and my wife and I would be up at all hours of the night feeding her. The only thing constantly on tv late night was tour coverage on Versus, and I watched very night. And I still do! I'm really rooting for Andy Schleck to finally win this year after finishing second the last two years, but it isn't looking good.

Anyhow, that's what I've been up to lately. I'll have a review of an awesome English style Pale Ale later this week.

Cheers, and thanks for reading!

No comments: