Subscribe via Email and get post sent straight to your inbox!

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Lagunitas IPA kicked my ass, Hurricane Irene can kiss my.....

Hurricane Irene visited the east coast this past weekend, wrecking havoc with my plans to end the month with reviews of several awesome IPA's.

While stocking up for a major storm, I found it difficult to justify including more than one beer on my list of essential supplies. Along with food, and batteries, one beer was a no brainer, but buying two, at the expense of, say bread and canned goods, was probably not a good idea.

So after the power went out, (while I was first attempting this post), and after I watched Irene do this to my car (see photo), and after I sat on the couch hoping the blue screen of death would eventually go away and let my computer live (it did, finally!), it is with great pleasure that I share with you my review of....

Lagunitas IPA
Lagunitas Brewing, Petaluma, CA
6.2% ABV, 49 IBUs

The bottle thanks you for choosing to spend time with this "homicidally hoppy" brew, and also states "beer speaks. People mumble", which immediately endeared the folks at Lagunitas Brewing to me, before I even opened a bottle.

This beer pours a beautiful copper color, with a finger of loose, white head that dissipates some, but still leaves enough to maintain a constant cling to the interior of the glass.

Smell is fantastically hoppy, almost pungently so. If you're a hop head like me, this is beer nirvana.

Mouthfeel is full bodied, with moderate carbonation and fuzziness on the tongue.

Taste is strong piney hops. Its a full blown hop flavor- the Centenial and Cascade hops overwhelm the sweet malt backbone, in a good way. There's a mild spice as well, not sure where its coming from, but all the elements play wonderfully in the glass.

Finish is mildly bitter, grapefruit like I'll say, but its balanced off by the sweetness of the malts.

The Lagunitas web site will say this beer is nicely balanced, but I found it awesomely unbalanced in favor of the hops.

This is an AWESOME IPA. I love the color, the smell, and the taste. You get a full hop taste experience in smell, color, taste, and finish. This might be my new favorite session IPA, its that darn good. An absolutely delicious beer.

I give this beer a 4-4.5 on my 1-5 scale.


No comments: