Subscribe via Email and get post sent straight to your inbox!

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Wachusett Brewing- Ryde Beer

Rye beer is growing on me.

Harpoon brewed a Rye IPA for their 25th Anniversary Celebration, and it was awesome. So when I saw that another of my favorite local breweries, Wachusett Brewing of Westminster, has also created a beer with Rye, it was a must try.

Ryde Beer
Wachusett Brewing, Westminster, MA
5% ABV, 22 IBU's


This beer pours a light golden yellow, with a loose, wispy white head.

Smell is very yeasty and sharp, with a hint of spice and floral hops.

Mouthfeel is thin but very active, either from the carbonation, or more likely, from the spice of the rye dancing on your tongue.

Taste is very yeasty, accompanied by some really nice clean, distinct warm spice notes from the rye. Its not a balanced taste, as the rye spice and flavor is a bit overwhelmed by a yeasty essence that permeates the brew.  You get the rye and spice notes, but its almost secondary. Finish is super dry with little aftertaste. (The Wachusett web site does not list the hops or malts)

I liked this beer, it was very unique and flavorful. I wanted more depth of flavor and more spice from the rye, but I do prefer my beers super unbalanced, and this one is only mildly unbalanced. Overall I'd give this a 2.75-3 on my 1-5 scale.

No comments: