Subscribe via Email and get post sent straight to your inbox!

Friday, July 13, 2012

Voodoo Doughnut Bacon Maple Ale...(no, thats not a typo)

Yes, you read the headline right. This post is about a beer brewed to taste like bacon- maple smoked bacon, to be exact.

Lucky me.

This post is dedicated to my long lost buddy, former co-worker, and former room mate- Brendan O'Neil.

(OK, He isn't really lost. He moved from the big city of Boston to the woods of western North Carolina a few years ago. I'm still trying to lure him back.).

BO, as I call him, is a former US Marine. His unit was one of the first through the mine fields in the original desert storm. When he finished serving his country, he came home to Boston and took a job with the security company I was working for at the time. We met at Au Bon Pan at Harvard Business School for coffee on his first day. We hit it off immediately. Brendan is a friend that I respect, admire, and look up to immensely. He sent me this beer, (and another from his wife which I'll write about later) because, as he says, when he saw the description, it reminded him too much of Homer Simpson to not send it (BO knows I am a fanatical Simpsons fan).

Voodoo Doughnut Bacon Maple Ale
Rogue Ale, Newport, Oregon
ABV est 7%

This beer is made in collaboration with what I believe is a local doughnut shop in Rogues home town of Newport, Oregon- Voodoo Doughnut.

To create a beer that tastes like a maple smoked bacon, you need a lot of ingredients-

13 Ingredients, to be exact:
 
Malts: Briess Cherrywood Smoked Malt, Weyermann Beechwood Smoked Malt, House-smoked Hickory Malt, Great Western 2 Row, Munich, C15, C75 Malts
Speciality: Applewood-Smoked Bacon, Pure Maple Flavoring
Hops: Perle, Sterling
Yeast & Water: Pacman Yeast, Free Range Coastal Water

This ingredient list oughta tell you that this is no normal beer.

This beer pours a hazy, murky dark orange, with a fluffy cream head that dissipates quickly, leaving light lacing on the surface and glass.

Smell in insanely, powerfully smokey- intense hickory and applewood evoke the essence of bacon almost immediately. Its downright frightening, to be totally honest. There is a subtle hint of underlying sweetness that is revealed by swirling the glass a bit.

Mouthfeel is equally insane- I know I just put liquid in my mouth, but my senses tell me I just did a massive bong hit off a hickory and applewood flavored stash. My mouth is literally texting me "WTF".

Taste is...holy smoke! Its freakin' bacon folks! Hickory smoke, applewood smoke, and hints of maple tell the brain that yes, you did just drink alcoholic liquid bacon. That subtle, underlying sweetness that presents in the nose during the pour? Its dead, gone, probably died of smoke inhalation.

Finish is smokey bitter.

I don't know what to say about this brew except that it is totally freaking insane. Recommended only as a novelty for those who want to say they drank bacon beer. Rogue makes many other excellent beers that still push the envelope, so I'd suggest seeking out those.

No comments: