Subscribe via Email and get post sent straight to your inbox!

Saturday, August 18, 2012

Continuing IPA Month With the Best IPA I've Ever Had.....

Today's IPA month entry is simply the best IPA I've ever had in my life.

It's a local Massachusetts product- Meadowlark IPA from the Pretty Things Beer and Ale Project.

We've discussed Pretty Things in this space in the past, and I've had an additional beer or two from these talented brewers that I didn't write about because, well, beer stops being fun if you write about every beer you drink. So while I had high expectations for this IPA, what I got was so, so much more...let me try to put it into words...

Meadowlark IPA
The Pretty Things Beer and Ale Project
Somerville, MA
7% ABV, 60 IBUs

Meadowlark pours a beautiful clear golden with a huge head of tight white foam. It collapses just a bit, but retains a several inches.

You can identify this as an American IPA immediately by the wonderful smell- citrus bright and hoppy, with subtle notes of biscuits and fresh bread.

Mouthfeel is moderate and wet. Absolutely perfect body and weight.

Taste is....WOW....how to put this into words? Citrusy hops up front, but not overwhelming like many American IPAs. The Galaxy and Citra hops greet the nose and the taste buds very politely but assertively, but with minimal bitterness. Notes of orange and grapefruit peel are complimented and balanced very nicely by a healthy malt profile.

Finish is wet and refreshing, with just a touch of bitter to remind you that this is an American IPA.

A superb beer. This is what an IPA should be- tasty, hoppy, with some bitter, but not an absurd amount. Incredibly tasty and thirst quenching. Whats more, this beer is absolutely sessionable, something I would not normally say about a 7% ABV brew. Highly recommended. An awesome beer.

I am beginning to form the opinion that Dann and Martha Paquette, the brewers behind Pretty Things, are to beer what Bill Belichick is to football. Seriously, neither can do any wrong in their field.


3 comments:

Allison oneil said...

Can't wait to try this one Bill! IPA's are my favorite!

Anonymous said...

I'll have one, if I can find it.

Karin said...

Hear hear! I tried this one when it was released and -- being a generally anti-IPA type -- loved this with good passion. I share your opinion on Pretty Things.....so far, not a bad beer in the bunch.