Subscribe via Email and get post sent straight to your inbox!

Monday, August 5, 2013

Foolproof Brewing Company- Backyahd IPA

I recently learned about a brewery in Pawtucket, Rhode Island that I had never heard of before- Foolproof Brewing Company.

I don't know how long Foolproof Brewing has been around, but after sampling their beer, I am confident in saying that they will be around for a loooong time.

IPA Month- day 5- is being celebrated with an IPA from this great, "new to me" brewery....

 
Backyahd IPA
Foolproof Brewing Company, Pawtucket RI
6% abv

Backyahd IPA (no, its not a typo, that's how its spelled on the can. And I totally dig it) pours a deep golden orange, with a nice lose white head.

Smell is sweet and hoppy- almost sugary, but not quite. There's a distinct fruity sweetness here, and its really nice.

Mouthfeel is soft, smooth, and silky. It's texturally excellent, with absolutely perfect carbonation.

Taste is hoppy up front, but only slightly bitter. Sweet, tasty tropical fruit notes of grapefruit and mango greet the palette. This sweetness is then balanced out with a nice, restrained hop bitterness. Finish is mildly bitter and a touch dry. 

I love this beer.

I love the hops, love the texture, and love the balance. Backyahd has superb balance- but it's not achieved by balancing out the malt bill with the hops, really. It's very much a hoppy IPA. They achieve this great balance by balancing the hop bitter and delicate hop sweetness. I feel this makes the beer overall texturally softer and more sessionable than most IPA's, even at 6% ABV.

I gotta say this was an awesome IPA, and a nice surprise. I will definitely be drinking more Foolproof beer this summer. Maybe I'll even make it down to the brewery for a tour.

I highly recommend this beer to all beer drinkers.

Cheers!

No comments: