Subscribe via Email and get post sent straight to your inbox!

Monday, August 12, 2013

IPA Month Continues with Oskar Blues "Deviant Dale's" IPA

Continuing IPA Month with another fine IPA in a can- Oskar Blues "Deviant Dales" IPA.

I don't know much about Oskar Blues Brewing. I've only had one of their beers- Mamas Little Yella Pils- and I wasn't a huge fan. But one thing I've learned is that you can't judge a brewery by one beer.

Trying to find new and different IPA's to write about for my self created "IPA Month" endeavor can get difficult. As many variations on the style as there are, finding them can be a challenge, and then tasting them all is another challenge. I probably only write about 50% of the beers I drink, because some I just don't like even a little, and sometimes I just want to sit in my recliner and enjoy a beer without taking freaking notes.

I selected Deviant Dale's IPA for three reasons:

  1. I am very unfamiliar with the brewery, so it was an opportunity to learn about them
  2. It comes in cans, and I think I need to drink more from cans. I sometimes think I have a subconscious prejudice against cans, and that's just wrong. 
  3. It comes in 16 ounce Tall Boy cans. And that's just cool. 
Oskar Blues Brewery, Longmont, CO
8%ABV, 85 IBU's

Deviant Dales pours a dark reddish orange, with a nice off white head. Not a lot of obvious bubbles in the glass.

Smell is nice- lots of bright, citrus aroma-and pine-and a underlying sweetness as well.

Mouthfeel is heavy- this is a chewy IPA. Lots of body to it, and it leaves a nice textural feel on the tongue, almost velvety smooth.

Taste is in line with the nose- strong, bright citrus up front, very grapefruit centric and bitter- with not so subtle notes of resiny pine as well. There's also a nice malt character and sweetness here that helps balance out the 85 IBU's of bitterness. Its not balanced per say, but its not an over the top, super bitter, west coast hop bomb either. Finish is very wet and only mildly bitter.

I liked this beer a bunch. Great flavor to it, and I love that they sell it in 16 ounce tall boy 4-packs. I recommend this beer.

Do you have a favorite IPA? Want to share it with the the world? Leave me a comment, or send me an email at  mandrinksbeermail@gmail.com.

Cheers!

No comments: