Subscribe via Email and get post sent straight to your inbox!

Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Founders KBS

Founders outstanding KBS, paired with a brownie.


I gave up alcohol for lent again this year. 

And then Founders KBS turned up at the great new bottle shop, Crafted, in my town. 

Lenten fast broken. 

KBS- or Kentucky Breakfast Stout, is one of those rare, "if you find it, you must buy it" beers. I've searched for this for years, but I've never been in a position to acquire one until this year, when I saw the post on Crafted's Facebook page announcing that KBS was in the house. At the time, I just happened to be doing some research at the local library, which just happens to be right down the street. I responded to the post immediately, asking if they had any left. They did, and research be damned, I was off to get my beer!  

For those unfamiliar, KBS is a variation of Founders excellent Breakfast Stout. While Breakfast Stout is brewed with coffee, oatmeal and chocolate, the KBS version has no oatmeal, but more coffee and chocolate and is aged in bourbon barrels for a full year! It is only available in April, and it disappears from store shelves immediately. Believe me.

KBS- Kentucky Breakfast Stout
Founders Brewing Company
Grand Rapids, MI
11% ABV, 70 IBU's

I let this warm for about 15 minutes before popping the cap. 

KBS pours black and thick, producing a low, burnt marshmallow colored head which quickly dissipates, leaving light lacing on the surface and a thin ring on the glass.

The smell is assertive, inviting and wonderful- equal parts chocolate and bourbon flow from the glass.  

The much anticipated first sip reveals a surprisingly soft mouthfeel, complemented by an expected and pleasant alcohol warmth.  

First taste is a very boozy mix of alcohol warmth and hop bitterness, with notes of vanilla and bourbon that seem to come and go. The chocolate aroma which was so pronounced in the nose is 
almost absent here. But what is here is wonderful and rich and silky smooth and comforting. The flavor is big and bold and awesome. Finish is boozy and wet with a mild coffee bitterness.

I love this beer. I enjoyed it with a very thick and rich chocolate brownies, which I felt really complimented the assertive booze bite in this stout.

This beer is a sipper, but worth every penny. Enjoy at home, in a recliner, by a fire.

Cheers!

No comments: