Subscribe via Email and get post sent straight to your inbox!

Thursday, August 6, 2015

Happy IPA Day! Celebrating with Rogue Farms 7 Hop IPA

Happy IPA Day all!

I'll keep this short so we can get back to celebrating Americas favorite beer style- the India Pale Ale!

Today I went "Rogue", so to speak, after not finding a local IPA in the cooler at my favorite bottle store (a rarity, to be sure). So, after examining my options, I reached for Rogue Farms 7 Hop IPA.

And boy am I glad that I did!


Rogue Farms Brewing
Independence, OR
7 Hop IPA
7.77% ABV

One of the things I love about Rogue is that they list all the ingredients in the beer. So I can tell you with confidence that this beer was brewed with "Rogue Farms dare risk, Haier & Dare R-3 Malts, Rogue Farms Liberty, Newport, Revolution, Rebel, Independence, Freedom & Alluvial Hops, Pacman Yeast & free range coastal water."  

That's a LOT of hops!

7 Hop pours a darker amber with a thick, frothy head of foam that stays forever. I think  you could walk on this head, its so thick!

Smell is complex and hard to pick out through that dense head of foam still atop the glass. But I smell hops. A lot of them.

Mouthfeel is light, very soft and velvety smooth. It's absolutely delightful! (yes, I used "delightful").

Taste is delicately hoppy. The flavors are plentiful and distinct but not overpowering. I'd describe it as floral, resiny, and wonderful. And only mildly bitter, which is a nice surprise. Finish is surprisingly clean with a touch of bitter.

"Awesome" is how I'd describe this beer. I expected a hoppy, bitter punch to the face, but what I got was far more delicate and complex brew. It as great, a really different take on the style, at least as far as my experience goes.

Definitely recommended. Have a great IPA Day all! And please join us again as we celebrate IPA Month all month long!

Cheers all!

Bill aka ManDrinksBeer

No comments: