Subscribe via Email and get post sent straight to your inbox!

Monday, August 3, 2015

Overthrow- an Evolving Double IPA from Backlash Brewing

Continuing IPA Month with a great beer that I never expected to find. At least not in my neighborhood.

I love it when I stumble upon a great beer that I didn't think was available yet. Overthrow by Backlash Brewing was that beer for me this past Sunday. After a day of running, lawn mowing, and  putting together a bunk bed (sans directions), I was hot and sore and needed something a little more than ice coffee.

Overthrow Double IPA- Batch Number One (bottled June 2015)
Backlash Brewing
8.5% ABV

The label refers to Overthrow as an "Evolving double India Pale Ale". "Our first batch of Overthrow blends Citra, Galaxy, and Simcoe hops into an angry mob of flavor coming for your taste buds. Dink it now."

Who was I to disagree?

Overthrow pours a hazy orange with a tight white head that recedes to leave a nice Bavarian Ring and nice lacing on the surface and sides of the glass.

The nose is juicy and sweet citrus- orange, pineapple, and mango aromas waft from the glass.

Mouthfeel is soft and fuzzy. This brew is very active on the tongue, lots of bubbles.

Taste is surprisingly mellow for a beer with such a strong, beautiful nose. Smooth and tasty is the best way to describe this, and given the "angry mob" of hops used in its creation, that's an impressive accomplishment. It's almost balanced. Not quite. Great hop flavor, but not as fruity as the aroma. Finish is bitter and wet.

This is a real nice beer. Love the aroma. It reminded me of a more slightly more bitter version of Maine Beer Company's outstanding "Lunch" IPA.

I strongly recommend "Overthrow". Another great offering from Backlash!

Only 3 days until #IPADay. What will you be drinking?

Cheers!





No comments: