Subscribe via Email and get post sent straight to your inbox!

Monday, January 9, 2017

IPA Free 2017- Week One

I survived my first week IPA Free.

It wasn't easy. I honestly nearly caved on January 1st. We ordered pizza for dinner, and we wanted beer to go with it (of course!) and my normal beer shop was closed. So I ventured into a new shop, and the craft beer selection was...well, lets just say slim pickin's. But I found something good....(read on! )

For those who may be new here, some background-  in hopes of expanding my beer experience, I am going "IPA Free" for 2017. (not a typo)

I love IPA's, I really do. But I do also think that we as craft beer fans drink them too often, and often at the expense and detriment of ourselves, as well as the many other excellent styles being brewed right now. This is the golden age of brewing, why let your experience be dominated by one style? 


Anyhow, here's the run down of excellent, local, non IPA's I enjoyed this past week:
  1. Newburyport Brewings wonderful "Plum Island Belgian White".- This beer saved my new years day. We need more Belgian's brewed locally. 
  2. Notch- "Session Pils"- One of my goals for 2016 was to drink more session beer. Accordingly, I told myself I would drink more Notch. I didn't. In 2017 I will make up for this in spades. This is the poster beer for session beers. I intend to drink a ton of this in 2017. It's excellent. I'm becoming more and more convinced that the measure of a great brewer is if they can make a truly excellent pilsner. Notch does this and makes it look easy. 
  3. Spencer Brewery "Imperial Stout"-Americas first Trappist Brewery (and the only one outside Europe!) makes a great stout! No special aging, no barrel aging, just a great, roasty malty stout.
  4. Jack's Abby- Pilot Pilsner- from a growler provided by my lovely wife. This reminded me a lot of the Saxony Pilsner Jack's brewed when they opened. I was a big fan then, and I'm a big fan on this pilot brew. I hope it makes the cut and gets a name!
This first week was a big challenge. Looking in the cooler and seeing all these great IPAs just staring back at me, it was second nature to want to grab one. I had to be very, very deliberate when shopping for my beer. I checked shelves I don't usually look at, which was fun. It was also the point of this experience. Normally there would be 2 or 3 IPA's on this list. Removing that as an option forced me to think more about what I was buying and forced me to look at brands and styles that I might not normally consider. It made me uncomfortable, to be honest. Who wants to buy a beer and not love it? Heck, that's why we have "go to" beers. But for me the "go to's" always seemed to be IPA's. Maybe I'm an abnormality, or just a bad, undisciplined beer geek. I guess we shall find out...

On two week #2.....Cheers!

Bill
aka
MDB




No comments: